Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dinner Party

So last week when my roommate announced she was having a dinner party, my boyfriend and I immediately told her that we had plans that night, so sorry. We haven't been able to stomach anything she cooks (and she tries to give me cooking advice on a regular basis). She told us that she invited her mother and our neighbors from next door. My roommate constantly complains about her very Polish and proper mother, and yet decided to make a Polish dinner that she found in a cookbook. Her mother is very harsh about things being "just so" and "correct," so this was going to be an interesting evening, and I knew I just didn't want to be there.

Rule #1: Never make an ethnic food from a cookbook with simple ingredients that your mother has made time and time again from scratch using her own special touches, you're never going to impress her.

By the time I left to go out for my own evening, her mother was already in the kitchen, judging her skills, commenting on her sauces and trying to clean up the kitchen so it would be up to her strict standards. The woman is in her 80's, yet my roommate kept raising her voice and yelling at her to stop picking and go set the table. I couldn't help but giggle when they were arguing - her mother is so cute and old and my roommate was just getting overly snippy. When I got back, my roommate told me that her mother disapproved of the food and that the neighbors got drunk and loud, and how stressful it was. I told her I didn't want to hear complaints, since it was her idea in the first place!

This week, she goes on a temp job for three weeks, so I don't know if I'll get any gems to post about. Until then, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment